1) Brookes Key
As a Brookes student you will get your 'Brookes Key' which allows you to:
- Travel in all the Brookes buses for free!
- Travel in all the other Oxford buses for £1.
2) Travel passes (SmartZone)
- If you happen to loose your card or you have someone coming to visit you, have a look at the different travel passes that are available and that will save you money!
- Day travel ticket is one of the best, it costs £4, you can buy it in the bus and gives you unlimited travel in Oxford for 24hrs
- There are other ones for different time periods like a week, a month and a year. Check them out in their website: http://city.oxfordbus.co.uk/smartzone/
3) Want to know when the bus is coming?
- Visit: http://www.oxontime.com/
- Gives you real time information
- You can look for your stop by entering one of options in the search (see below)
- There are 2 companies that operate buses from Oxford to London and viceversa: the Oxford Tube and the X90
- They run almost every 10-30mins depending on the time of the day
- They both operate 24 hrs
- The journey takes approximately 1.30 hrs
- Both companies stop in the main places in Oxford and London
- With your Brookes Key you can have a return journey for £10
- Check their websites for more info: Oxford Tube & X90
To the airports
- You can go to the airports by bus or train.
- By train- check the section below.
- If you want to go by bus:
- Heathrow & Gatwick operate with The Airline-buses are quite frequent and take 1.30 hrs to Heathrow and 2hrs to Gatwick
- For other airports including Stansted and Luton check National Express in the bus section below.
- It's a car sharing service that connects drivers with empty seats and people looking for a ride.
- It works all over Europe.
- Very cheap and convenient option in many cases.
- Drivers and passengers can have reviews, there is an online booking & paying system.
- Very recommendable! Check it out ;)
- Check their website: http://www.blablacar.com
- The trains in the UK are generally very good; they are fast, safe and can get you almost anywhere!
- To buy cheap tickets check:http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/
- To plan your jouney and check the arrival times in real time check : http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
- There is a Youth Railcard that costs £10 and lasts for 1 year and gives you 1/3 off the train fares. You can buy it online or at a train station.
- Coaches are a cheap and efficient way to get around the UK.
- Megabus is a website where you can find really cheap (sometimes £1) coach tickets but they have limited destinations in the UK.
- There you can find coaches to get around the UK and also to travel around Europe!
- Visit their website: www.megabus.com
2) National Express
- Is the main coach company in the UK.
- There you can find coaches to to every destination in the UK. It also arranges any bus changes that you may need to make (megabus only deals with direct buses)
- Visit their website for more information and bookings: http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx
- There is a Young Persons Coachcard that costs £10 and lasts for 1 year and gives you 1/3 off the bus fares. You can buy it online.